Torrensville Primary uses the Australian National Curriculum to provide an engaging and relevant educational experience.
Our Inquiry Units provide rigorous learning experiences through the 8 areas of study: Maths, English, Humanities & Social Sciences (HASS), Health and Physical Education, Science, Technology, The Arts and LOTE (Greek language).
Information and Communication technologies are embraced across the curriculum. Each class has an interactive whiteboard and access laptops and iPADS on a daily basis. All classes access our computer suite of 30 standalone computers. The use of multi-media is incorporated into our Inquiry Units ensuring students are confident users of a range of tools to enhance their learning and methods of communicating.
At TPS we aim to:
- develop each child at a physical, social, emotional and cognitive level
- enhance the confidence, resilience and self-esteem of all students, inclusive of all ability levels
- support effective and active engagement and participation in the curriculum
- develop a culture of inclusivity, valuing diversity
- support students in successful and challenging learning experiences.
- maximize the learning potential of all students
- develop a growth mindset
Learning Areas and Programs
Literacy is currently a whole school priority and we have developed whole school collective agreements around our teaching and learning practice. Research shows that consistent approaches to the teaching of literacy supports students learning. For example guided reading is a consistent approach Reception to year 7, Words their Way year 2 to year 7 and Jolly phonics program reception to year 2. We use the teaching and learning cycle to explicitly teach the functions of language and writing genres.
Two specialist teachers work alongside teachers in the class room to ensure individual needs of students are accommodated. So you will often see two teachers in your child’s class. We provide an early intervention program for Reception to Year 7 students (see approaches to learning).
At Torrensville Primary our priorities are for students to attain high levels of achievement in numeracy in all areas. We create safe conditions for rigorous learning in mathematics, developing expert and numerate learners, personalising and connecting learning.
The Australian Curriculum scope and sequence forms the basis of all we do. Teachers use the Natural Maths Numeracy Cycle to support teaching and learning.
As part of our Inquiry Units, students are involved in alternative extra curricula/learning opportunities to ensure they are exposed to activities that can expand their experiences. For example specialist sports, wheelchair sports, archery, self-defence, gardening, specialist CSIRO science program and cooking.
Our specialist programs are:
- Performing Arts
- Health & Physical Education
- On offer is an Instrumental Music Program through ‘Learning Through Music’ company on Thursday. Specialist teachers provide half hour lessons at a resonable cost.
- Year 3 to 7 DECD Instrumental Strings Program
- Lunchtime ukulele program